How do I record a transaction to a trust account that is not related to a client/matter?
There are some cases where a lawyer may be inclined to make a deposit, withdrawal, credit or debit to a trust account that is not related to a client or matter:
- Make the required minimum deposit to open the trust account with the bank
- Payment for account maintenance fees
We’ve designed Zola Suite to minimize chances of inadvertent trust transactions. Therefore, as you’ve probably noticed, Zola Suite currently does not allow any transactions with Trust accounts that are not associated to a matter. This includes Deposits, Bank to Bank transfers (unless done as part of applying trust funds) and Journal Entries.
What we recommend doing in this situation is as follows:
- Create a matter with your firm name as the client or use the default "Business Development" matter
- For deposits and credits record a trust payment via new retainer into the trust account and relate it to the matter above. This will increase the trust account balance and ensure the funds don’t become available to any actual clients/matters.
- For withdrawals and debits record a trust check and relate it to the matter above. This will decrease the trust account balance and ensure the funds don’t become available to any actual clients/matters.
Of course, as with anything involving trust accounts, please make sure you are following your jurisdictions ethics guidelines.
How Do I Record a Phone Call in Zola Suite?
The phone call feature will allow you to record notes about your phone call and store it in your matter communications. You can do this one of two ways. From Quick Add menu Click on the "+" from the Quick Add menu Select "New Phone Call Note" From ...
How Do I Record a New Retainer?
When taking in any kind of advanced client payment, retainer or recording a deposit to the Trust account you will want to enter it as a New Trust/Retainer Payment. You can also create a retainer with a credit card via LawPay. Go to Accounting section ...
How Do I Change the Primary Client in a Matter?
If the Primary Client for your Matter changes or you accidentally selected the incorrect Contact, you can always change this field. If you would like to change the role of any Contact other than the primary client, this will be done differently. ...
Is My Client Able to View Any of Their Matter Information?
No, this information is intended for internal use only within Zola Suite. Should you give a client the option to sign up for Caseway, they will only be able to view Documents and Invoices that you have shared with them.
What is the Statement of Account Used For?
Statements of Account are used to provide a list of invoices and payments by a particular client or matter. Statements of Account can be sent to clients who have outstanding balances, but no new invoices within the current billing period. These ...
Experiencing degraded performance in Zola Suite?