How do I record a transaction to a trust account that is not related to a client/matter?
There are some cases where a lawyer may be inclined to make a deposit, withdrawal, credit or debit to a trust account that is not related to a client or matter:
- Make the required minimum deposit to open the trust account with the bank
- Payment for account maintenance fees
We’ve designed Zola Suite to minimize chances of inadvertent trust transactions. Therefore, as you’ve probably noticed, Zola Suite currently does not allow any transactions with Trust accounts that are not associated to a matter. This includes Deposits, Bank to Bank transfers (unless done as part of applying trust funds) and Journal Entries.
What we recommend doing in this situation is as follows:
- Create a matter with your firm name as the client or use the default "Business Development" matter
- For deposits and credits record a trust payment via new retainer into the trust account and relate it to the matter above. This will increase the trust account balance and ensure the funds don’t become available to any actual clients/matters.
- For withdrawals and debits record a trust check and relate it to the matter above. This will decrease the trust account balance and ensure the funds don’t become available to any actual clients/matters.
Of course, as with anything involving trust accounts, please make sure you are following your jurisdictions ethics guidelines.
How Do I Generate an Amount for Trust Replenishment on a Client’s Invoice?
If your firm requires that clients maintain a specific trust balance, the "Required Trust Balance" can be configured to incorporate that number into the client’s invoice balance. Under the Matter Options tab, you will find the "Required Trust ...
Can I Upload Trust Check History?
In Zola Suite, you have the ability to create trust checks one at a time, which can be printed and used to pay disbursements from retained funds. If you are looking to upload a list of trust checks that have already been created, rather than create ...
How Do I Clear a Transaction from the Download and Review Feed?
First, navigate to the Banks and Registers page, select the credit card from the drop-down, then click Download and Review Select the transaction you'd like to clear. If this activity was already created in Zola Suite and appears on your Bank ...
How Do I Record a New Retainer?
When taking in any kind of advanced client payment, retainer or recording a deposit to the Trust account you will want to enter it as a New Trust/Retainer Payment. You can also create a retainer with a credit card via APX . Go to Accounting section ...
How Do I Record a Phone Call in Zola Suite?
The phone call feature will allow you to record notes about your phone call and store it in your matter communications. You can do this one of two ways. From Quick Add menu Click on the "+" from the Quick Add menu Select "New Phone Call Note" From ...
Experiencing degraded performance in Zola Suite?