When and how do I use trust checks?
If you need to make disbursements directly out of funds in trust for a particular matter, you can use the Trust Check feature. Zola Suite does not allow you to use the standard Check/Hard Cost window to draw from a trust account.
To create a trust check:
- Click the "+" at the top right for your quick add menu you will see 2 options at the bottom, "New Check" (only for operating accounts) and "New Trust Check" (only for trust accounts).
- Select "New Trust Check" and a window pop up. Once completed click one of the save options.
Special Features of Trust Check:
- Forces selection of a Matter (and only a single Matter per check).
- Does not allow you to draw more than the amount in Trust for that Matter.
- Keeps your Matter/Trust Ledger in properly in balance. You can view your Matter Ledger under the Matter Ledger tab under the Matter page.
When to Use a Trust Check:
- When making disbursements directly for a matter expense such as court fees.
What type of checks are compatible to print from Zola Suite?
If you are using the print check feature in Zola Suite, you will need 3-part business checks (these checks have a check on the top and two stubs below). These are often referred to as "Voucher Checks". Voucher checks that have the check in the middle ...
What is the difference between Operating and Trust Retainers?
A Trust Retainer is money that is given to the firm that needs to go into a separate escrow account where the firm has no access to it. However, an operating account is money that is given to the firm that can be used by the firm on payment. Once ...
How do I record a transaction to a trust account that is not related to a client/matter?
There are some cases where a lawyer may be inclined to make a deposit, withdrawal, credit or debit to a trust account that is not related to a client or matter: Make the required minimum deposit to open the trust account with the bank Payment for ...
How Do I Record a New Retainer?
When taking in any kind of advanced client payment, retainer or recording a deposit to the Trust account you will want to enter it as a New Trust/Retainer Payment. You can also create a retainer with a credit card via LawPay. Go to Accounting section ...
How Do I Apply a Retainer to Invoice(s)?
With "Apply Retainer" you are able to apply multiple payments from a specific bank account (that were entered in as new retainers) to multiple invoices from a specific matter Go to the Accounting section, click the "+" on the green action bar ...
Experiencing degraded performance in Zola Suite?